[Maxima-discuss] Manipulating polynomials with coefficients in GF(2)
Henry Baker
2017-07-12 02:49:28 UTC
I want to play with a bunch of multivariate polynomials whose coefficients are 0,1 -- i.e., elements of GF(2).

I want to expand, factor, etc., but I want Maxima to realize that "-" is the same as "+", that coefficients that have factors of 2 are all zeros, etc.

I did "modulus:2", but this didn't have the intended effect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Richard Fateman
2017-07-12 03:39:48 UTC
Post by Henry Baker
I want to play with a bunch of multivariate polynomials whose coefficients are 0,1 -- i.e., elements of GF(2).
I want to expand, factor, etc., but I want Maxima to realize that "-" is the same as "+", that coefficients that have factors of 2 are all zeros, etc.
I did "modulus:2", but this didn't have the intended effect.
the modulus only affects "rat" forms.

Try
x:rat(x);

(x+1)^5;