Windows problems with ver. 5.40.0
Edwin Woollett
2017-06-21 20:27:00 UTC
Windows problems with ver 5.40.0:
Using the 32 bit version of maxima 5.40.0 on a Windows XP box

1. wxmaxima seems to work ok.

2. a. xmaxima outputs an extra empty line between each normal line.

b. xmaxima won’t load stringproc and linearalgebra, for example:
Maxima 5.40.0 http://maxima.sourceforge.net
using Lisp CLISP 2.49 (2010-07-07)
Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.
Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.
The function bug_report() provides bug reporting information.
maxima_userdir = c:/work5
(%i1) load(linearalgebra);
loadfile: failed to load C:\MAXIMA~2.0\share\maxima\5.40.0\share\linearalgebra\load-linearalgebra-lisp-files.lisp
-- an error. To debug this try: debugmode(true);
(%i2) M : matrix([1,2],[3,4]);
(%o2) matrix([1,2],[3,4])
(%i3) rowswap (M,1,2);
loadfile: failed to load C:\MAXIMA~2.0\share\maxima\5.40.0\share\linearalgebra\load-linearalgebra-lisp-files.lisp
#0: rowswap(_l=[matrix([1,2],[3,4]),1,2]) (C:\MAXIMA~2.0\share\maxima\5.40.0\share\linearalgebra\linearalgebra.mac line 35)
-- an error. To debug this try: debugmode(true);
(%i4) charlist("Lisp");
file_search1: stringproc not found in file_search_maxima,file_search_lisp.
-- an error. To debug this try: debugmode(true);

Using the 64 bit version of maxima 5.40.0 on a Windows 7 box

1. wxmaxima “could not find Maxima” warning appears, with the advice:
Please configure wxMaxima with ‘Edit –> Configure’.
Then start Maxima with ‘Maxima –> Restart Maxima’

wxmaxima then is unable to multiply 2*4, etc.

=============================

Maxima 5.40.0 http://maxima.sourceforge.netusing Lisp CLISP 2.49 (2010-07-07)
Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.
Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.
The function bug_report() provides bug reporting information.
maxima_userdir = c:/k2
(%i1) charlist("Lisp");
file_search1: stringproc not found in
file_search_maxima,file_search_lisp.
-- an error. To debug this try: debugmode(true);
(%i2) M : matrix([1,2],[3,4]);
(%o2) matrix([1,2],[3,4])
(%i3) rowswap(M,1,2);
Maxima encountered a Lisp error:
OPEN: Directory #P"C:\\MAXIMA~2.0\\share\\maxima\\5.40.0\\share\\linearalgebra\\" does not exist
Automatically continuing.
To enable the Lisp debugger set *debugger-hook* to nil.
(%i4) 4/2;

(%o4) 2

(%i5)

Ted Woollett
Wolfgang Dautermann
2017-06-22 07:44:09 UTC
Hi Edwin,
thanks for your feedback.

On 2017-06-21 22:27, Edwin Woollett wrote:
> Windows problems with ver 5.40.0:
> Using the 32 bit version of maxima 5.40.0 on a Windows XP box
>
> 1. wxmaxima seems to work ok.
>
> 2. a. xmaxima outputs an extra empty line between each normal line.
>
> b. xmaxima won’t load stringproc and linearalgebra, for example:

I also got problems with xmaxima and Clisp (and don't have an idea where
they come from). If you want to use xmaxima:
Maxima is compiled with two Lisp versions (CLISP and SBCL) and you can
select, which one will be used by default by using the 'Configure
default Lisp for Maxima' tool from the start menu. Does it work with SBCL?

> Using the 64 bit version of maxima 5.40.0 on a Windows 7 box
>
> 1. wxmaxima “could not find Maxima” warning appears, with the advice:
> Please configure wxMaxima with ‘Edit –> Configure’.
> Then start Maxima with ‘Maxima –> Restart Maxima’
>
> wxmaxima then is unable to multiply 2*4, etc.

Did you select the Maxima program - if you used the default installation
path (which is strongly recommended), it should be in
C:\maxima-5.40.0\bin\maxima.bat
(and restart Maxima (or wxMaxima itself) afterwards)?

> 2.
> a. xmaxima outputs an extra empty line between each normal line.
>
> b. xmaxima won’t load stringproc and linearalgebra, for example:

That could be the same issue than above, maybe it works, if you use SBCL
as Lisp engine?

Best regards, Wolfgang

(and - do the non working xmaxima examples work with the command line
Maxima or wxMaxima (when using CLISP))
Barton Willis
2017-06-22 10:59:58 UTC
Two problems I have with wxMaxima 17.05.0:

1. When I copy (as text) an input/output cell either by Cntrl+Shift+C or through the menu and paste in to into an email (Outlook), it pastes as an image. I can fix this by either changing my email to not use HTML or to first paste into my text editor. Is there a setting that changes this behavior?

2. Maybe this is a misuse of wxMaxima, but the screen gets a bit jumbled when I trace CL functions. Try something like

:lisp(trace simptimes)

expand((1+x)^2)

Moving the cursor around, the screen gets jumbled--the next input prompt can get obscured. Other than using XMaxima, I have not found a workaround. Also running the testsuite (in a fresh Maxima without any tracing) similarly gives a screen that is a bit jumbled--is there a setting that fixes this?

I've been helping students learn and use Maxima for longer than I would like to recall--for my students, the wxMaxima interface has been a key feature for my students.

--Barton

Gunter Königsmann
2017-06-22 15:45:51 UTC
Am 22. Juni 2017 12:59:58 MESZ schrieb Barton Willis <***@unk.edu>:
>Two problems I have with wxMaxima 17.05.0:
>

>1. When I copy (as text) an input/output cell either by Cntrl+Shift+C
>or through the menu and paste in to into an email (Outlook), it pastes
>as an image. I can fix this by either changing my email to not use HTML
>or to first paste into my text editor. Is there a setting that changes
>this behavior?

Right-click and "copy as text":
wxMaxima allows the drop target to decide in which format it wants the data. Some programs actively use this for a "paste special" menu. Others like the gimp and all text editors choose the appropriate format. But outlook seemingly takes a poor decision here...
...it would be possible to add a configuration menu for that. But I am hesitant there as we already have too many config items...

>2. Maybe this is a misuse of wxMaxima, but the screen gets a bit
>jumbled when I trace CL functions. Try something like
>
>:lisp(trace simptimes)
>
>expand((1+x)^2)
>
>Moving the cursor around, the screen gets jumbled--the next input
>prompt can get obscured. Other than using XMaxima, I have not found a
>workaround. Also running the testsuite (in a fresh Maxima without any
>tracing) similarly gives a screen that is a bit jumbled--is there a
>setting that fixes this?

Would it be possible for you to test if the issue is fixed in the nightly build (http://wolfgang.dautermann.at/maxima/nightlybuild/)?

I cannot reproduce the problem on my computer but I have improved the output routines in the last few days...

Kind regards,

Gunter.
Gunter Königsmann
2017-06-26 18:06:03 UTC

> Moving the cursor around, the screen gets jumbled--the next input
> prompt can get obscured. Other than using XMaxima, I have not found
> a workaround. Also running the testsuite (in a fresh Maxima without
> any tracing) similarly gives a screen that is a bit jumbled--is
> there a setting that fixes this?

I have found another place that is affected by the cursor position =>
tomorrow's nightly build might have another bugfix that might have to do
with this problem.

Kind regards,

Gunter.
Edwin Woollett
2017-06-22 22:47:28 UTC
for 32 bit version on windows xp, selecting sbcl lisp via the start menu
never was
able to get me away from clisp on xmaxima. so no success so far accessing
linearalgebra
etc from xmaxima. Also no 'maximarc' file ever appeared in \bin.

command line maxima (\bin\maxima.bat ) also always came up with clisp, but
succeeds
with rowswap and charlist, in contrast to xmaxima.
for windows 7 and 64 bit version, selecting sbcl did result in xmaxima using
sbcl, and
xmaxima success with rowswap and charlist.

Also got wxmaxima to 'find maxima' via the wxmaxima menu system:
1. Edit, Configure, Maxima, then set 'maxima program' box to correct path
C:\maxima-5.40.0\bin\maxima.bat
then click ok and get out of Edit menu box.
2. In Maxima menu box, click on Restart Maxima

result is working wxmaxima.