even using sbcl, can't load sbcl profiler, also wxmaxima complaint.
Richard Fateman
2017-06-17 17:12:39 UTC
argh again.

I edited the maxima.bat file so wxmaxima loads sbcl instead of clisp.

Now
:lisp (require :sb-sprof) says

.*.. sb-sprof.fasl.... was compiled **for implementation X86, but this
is a X86-64.

*annoyingly, this piece of text is displayed as an image, so I could not
conveniently cut and paste it into this email, except as a huge image.
RJF
Roland Salz
2017-06-17 17:41:50 UTC
It’s not necessary to edit maxima.bat if you use wxmaxima. You can select the lisp in the wxmaxima settings. Since I don’t use the English version: it’s in the second drop down menu, last item, then under “Maxima” write –l sbcl in the field in the middle and wxmaxima will always use it from now on (restart wxmaxima).

The other issue I don’t know.

Best,

Roland

RJF
Richard Fateman
2017-06-17 18:03:47 UTC
thanks.

I'm just thrashing around, in case you hadn't noticed...
Yes, your recommendation works to specify the lisp.

In order to proceed further,
I downloaded a 32-bit version. Now I got :lisp (require :sb-sprof) to
work !
however, a necessary program
sb-sprof:start-profiling
is undefined.

I went further, and found the source code for sb-sprof; it fails to
compile on
either -64 or -32 bit sbcl, at least for me.

one issue seems to be a lock on package sb-di

suggestions?

RJF

RJF
RJF
Michel Talon
2017-06-17 21:49:51 UTC
Post by Richard Fateman
I'm just thrashing around, in case you hadn't noticed...
Yes, your recommendation works to specify the lisp.
In order to proceed further,
I downloaded a 32-bit version. Now I got :lisp (require :sb-sprof) to
work !
however, a necessary program
sb-sprof:start-profiling
is undefined.
I went further, and found the source code for sb-sprof; it fails to
compile on
either -64 or -32 bit sbcl, at least for me.
one issue seems to be a lock on package sb-di
suggestions?
As i said you previously, sb-prof works for me on sbcl 64 bits on Linux.
***@talon-ZBOXNANO:~$ sbcl
This is SBCL 1.3.13, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbcl.org/>.
* (require :sb-sprof)

("SB-SPROF")
* (sb-sprof:start-profiling)

*

To get this version of sbcl i have downloaded the latest sbcl source
code some months ago, and i have compiled it with the sbcl coming with
my Linux. I had absolutely no problem to do the compilation, and things
like sb-sprof work out of the box. The source code for sprof is
included, maybe you have downloaded a version which is incompatible with
your sbcl. This is an hypothesis based on the fact that your version of
sprof has lock problems with the disassembler.
Michel Talon
Gunter Königsmann
2017-06-17 22:11:47 UTC
Post by Michel Talon
To get this version of sbcl i have downloaded the latest sbcl source
code some months ago, and i have compiled it with the sbcl coming with
my Linux. I had absolutely no problem to do the compilation, and things
like sb-sprof work out of the box. The source code for sprof is
included, maybe you have downloaded a version which is incompatible with
your sbcl. This is an hypothesis based on the fact that your version of
sprof has lock problems with the disassembler.
With gcl there were always subtle problems when the gcl version ubuntu
came with has changed after maxima was packaged... ...not that a similar
thing can happen with sbcl.

Kind regards,

Gunter.

Wolfgang Dautermann
2017-06-17 18:42:29 UTC
It’s not necessary to edit maxima.bat if you use wxmaxima. You can
select the lisp in the wxmaxima settings. Since I don’t use the English
version: it’s in the second drop down menu, last item, then under
“Maxima” write –l sbcl in the field in the middle and
wxmaxima will always use it from now on (restart wxmaxima).
The other possibility to specify the default Lisp in my Windows
installer is to use a small Tcl program ("configure default Lisp for
Maxima") in the Start menu.

This will create a file "maximarc" in the subdirectory "maxima" in your
Homedirectory, where the default Lisp will be specified, e.g.
MAXIMA_LISP=sbcl

This default works then for command line Maxima, xMaxima and wxMaxima.
(if "-l sbcl" or "-l clisp" is specified in wxMaxima, it overrides this
value). The same as in Unix/Linux (except that the file is
$HOME/.maxima/maximarc here).

Best regards, Wolfgang

(concerning the SBCL profiling issue, I cant help, sorry...)