[Maxima-discuss] An experimental binary of Maxima-5.40.0 on macOS
有坂富雄
2017-06-12 17:00:27 UTC
I don't have permission to upload files to the file manager at SourceForge.
I would like to get it if you would allow me.
Yes, what is your Sourceforge user name? I will assign the permissions.
Thanks for working on the binaries -- it is very helpful.
best,
Robert Dodier
Sorry for the delay.

My Sourceforge user name is "tomio-arisaka".

By the way, I made new Maxima.app which includes VTK-6.3.0.
So that I can upload two kinds of Maxima.app.

But the size of the compressed disk image of new Maxima.app is large.

* "Maxima-5.40.0-VTK-macOS.dmg" (449.4 MB):
<https://mega.nz/#!e5cwRQwC!Vh3EKhdeK3GQ8QWNLxLsciB3Ar_7ADxLsZGiplGwmII>

* "How to make a standalone binary of Maxima (2).rtf.zip" (5 KB):
<https://mega.nz/#!S4sBRLxZ!22eIGR63GGuRb2djsdhyJEx5y-qRf_6mYIAXdOvopB4>

* "ReadMe.rtf.zip" (2 KB):
<https://mega.nz/#!Dls2VL5L!K4_1PQog6msvaS1nBSJnx_YExYLHqyrzREN5v5zUr8A>

Thanks,

Tomio Arisaka
Robert Dodier
2017-06-18 06:55:26 UTC
Post by 有坂富雄
My Sourceforge user name is "tomio-arisaka".
OK, terrific. I have added your user name to the list of deveopers for
Maxima. You should be able to upload files to the file manager now.
Let us know if you need more information about that.
Post by 有坂富雄
But the size of the compressed disk image of new Maxima.app is large.
Hmm. Well, I guess that's OK. I am not aware of any limit on the size
of uploaded files. Does anyone else see a problem here?

All the best,

Robert Dodier
有坂富雄
2017-06-18 14:32:12 UTC
Post by 有坂富雄
But the size of the compressed disk image of new Maxima.app is large.
Hmm. Well, I guess that's OK. I am not aware of any limit on the size
of uploaded files. Does anyone else see a problem here?
All the best,
Robert Dodier
Thanks a lot for your help.

I have uploaded two kinds of the Maxima.app with sftp.
One includes VTK and the other does not.
The location is <https://sourceforge.net/projects/maxima/files/Maxima-MacOS/5.40.0-MacOSX/>.
I expect the Maxima.app will run on macOS 10.6.8 or later.
But I checked that it ran on macOS 10.6.8, 10.9.5, and 10.11.6.

If something is wrong, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tomio Arisaka
Robert Dodier
2017-06-18 18:27:47 UTC
Post by 有坂富雄
I have uploaded two kinds of the Maxima.app with sftp.
One includes VTK and the other does not.
The location is <https://sourceforge.net/projects/maxima/files/Maxima-MacOS/5.40.0-MacOSX/>.
I expect the Maxima.app will run on macOS 10.6.8 or later.
But I checked that it ran on macOS 10.6.8, 10.9.5, and 10.11.6.
That's great. I hope someone who has a Mac will try these and report
back to the list about it.

best

Robert Dodier
Dr. Wolfgang Lindner
2017-06-19 12:30:18 UTC
Hello,
Thank you for the work on this.

I have tried to install Maxima.app on my MacBook Air (Version 2011) running
macOS Sierra without luck.
I get the message "Image corrupted", launching is not possible.

Maybe the reason is that the default folder is (in German) called
"/Programme" instead of "/Applications"?
Don't what to do.

Best regards
Wolfgang
--
Dr. Wolfgang Lindner
Leichlingen, Germany

Michel Gosse

.

有坂富雄
2017-06-19 16:34:56 UTC
Hello,
Thanks for your report.

"/Programme" is a localized name of "/Applications", so that it has no problem.
(If you would like to get the real name, then you should drag the icon of "Programme" into a window of Terminal.app.)

I would like to know which software shows the error message.
Because Maxima.app includes many softwares.
So, please let me know the error in detail.
For instance, your process of launching Maxima, and which of windows shows the error.

Thanks,

Tomio Arisaka
Leichlingen, Germany
有坂富雄
2017-06-20 12:08:31 UTC
Dear Wolfgang,

Sorry for the inconvenience.
I don't have any Sierra Macs.
So I would like to get your help, if you would allow me.

I looked at your screenshots, then I think that the AppleScript application which is compiled on macOS 10.6.8 is not compatible with Sierra.

Please try to do the following:
(0) Drag the sources folder icon in Launchers from the compressed disc image to another place of your filesystem.
(1) Double-click the AppleScript source icon which you would like to open.
    (e.g. Rmaxima.scpt in sources folder)
    Then "Script Editor.app" opens it.
(2) Select the menu "Script"->"Run".
    If Maxima is launched, then quit it. (This means Maxima is OK.)
(3) Select the menu "File"->"Export..." of "Script Editor.app",
    then the dialog appears.
    Set the following:
    * File Format: "Application"
    Click "Save" button to make the AppleScript application.

Please let me know the result.

Thanks,

Tomio Arisaka
Dear Tomio,
this was the error message: "Maxima is damaged and cannot be opend. Maybe, put it to the garbarge." (translated from German).
I attach the screenshot.
Best Wolfgang
-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: Re: [Maxima-discuss] An experimental binary of Maxima-5.40.0 on macOS
Leichlingen, Germany
Dr. Wolfgang Lindner
2017-06-21 21:41:29 UTC
Dear Tomio,

thank you for the detailed instructions to install Maxima.app
an my (old) MacBook Air with macOS 10.12 ("Sierra").

The good news is: I got wxMaxima running!
Simple commands work.
I will test more when I came back from a break

Also a command window is shown when using Rmaxima.scp .

I attach my screeshots in a seperate private mail for you, because
it is not allowed on this list to attach big data files.

The bad news is: it is critical to quit Maxima (it hangs).
I have to study this more closely.

Thank you very much for your interesting app development
and your kind help.

Best
Wolfgang

- - -
Dr. Wolfgang Lindner
Leichlingen, Germany

Leichlingen, Germany
有坂富雄
2017-06-20 12:40:14 UTC
Dear Loukas,

Thanks for your report, and sorry for the inconvenience.

I think you had used another version of wxMaxima.
Your wxMaxima created the initialization file.
But it is not compatible with new Maxima.app.
Because new Maxima.app works good with the default path name of Maxima.

New Maxima.app includes wxMaxima-15.04.0.
So that you can select one of two solutions:

(a) If you had used wxMaxima-15.04.0, then you should change the path name of Maxima to "maxima".
   (1) Select the menu "wxMaxima"->"Preferences..."
   (2) Select the icon "Maxima" in the window "wxMaxima configuration".
   (3) Change the string of "Maxima program" to "maxima"

(b) If you had used other version of wxMaxima, then you should remove the initialization file which were created by wxMaxima.
   (1) You can find the initialization file with the Terminal.app command
       "find $HOME/Library -name '*wxMaxima*'".
   (2) You can remove the initialization file with the Terminal.app command
       "find $HOME/Library -name '*wxMaxima*' -exec rm -Ri {} +".

By the way, you can use VTK without settings.
All of executable path settings are embedded in AppleScript launcher.
Please look at the AppleScript file in the folder "Launchers/sources".

Thanks,

Tomio Arisaka
Dear Tomio,
I have downloaded your latest version of Maxima 5.40.0 for MacOSX.
I have preferred the large version: Maxima-5.40.0-VTK-macOS.dmg
But as soon as I run it, I get in the lower-right place, on the status bar of the wxMaxima window, the following message: Maxima process terminated.
I have quite big experience (I believe) with Maxima and wxMaxima.
I remember that I was getting this message, when wxMaxima could not find the Maxima.app
So, I opened “Preferences” and I checked that the Maxima program was right: /Applications/Maxima.app
So?
Where is the problem?
Do I have to insert a path of Maxima application somewhere else? Maybe with the use of the Terminal?
Does VTK demand something more?
Any help is welcome.

Best regards,
Loukas Zachilas
Assistant Professor on Applied Mathematics
Univ. of Thessaly
Dept. Of Economics
GREECE

Tomio Arisaka
有坂富雄
2017-06-20 15:46:34 UTC
Dear Loukas,

New Maxima.app includes "gnuplot-5.0.6" which provides several graphic terminals (e.g. "aqua", "png", "wxt", and "x11").  But "qt" is not provided.
(2) If you have installed a previous version of Maxima, you may have an initialization file "maxima-init.mac".
   (You can check it with the Terminal.app command
    "cat $HOME/.maxima/maxima-init.mac")
   (You can open it with the Terminal.app command
    "open -a /Applications/TextEdit.app $HOME/.maxima/maxima-init.mac")
* If the definition of the value "gnuplot_command" exists, you should remove it.
   Because the Maxima.app works good with the default value of "gnuplot_command".
* If the function "set_plot_option([gnuplot_term, qt])$" exists, you should
   remove it or change it to "set_plot_option([gnuplot_term, 'wxt])$".
   Because the graphic terminal "qt" is not provided.
So that you can use "wxt" or "x11" instead of "qt".
("x11" needs to install XQuartz.)

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,

Tomio Arisaka
Dear Tomio,
You are great!
I tried the first solution (since I had already uninstalled all previous versions, and thus there was no initialization file).
So
 I changed the Maxima program to “maxima” (I was sure that your spelling was crucial
 Small letters, small “m” in the beginning).
And Maxima now works fine.
But
 may I ask you something more?
When I plot something (either in 2D or 3D), the Gnuplot window (which is a gnuplot_qt window), is not responding as in my previous installation.
I mean that I cannot zoom in or zoom out (with right click on the graph), or I cannot rotate the 3D surface (when I draw a function of 2 variables).
Any possible explanation?
Possibly, I use old gnuplot version? Or in your package, the gnuplot is an old one?

Best regards,
Loukas

GREECE
有坂富雄
2017-06-22 10:24:54 UTC
Dear Wolfgang,

I finally understood what the error message meant.
(I think you have already noticed it. So this mail is for other mac users of this mailing-list, too.)

On the default setting, macOS does not allow Maxima.app to be launched, because it was not downloaded from "App Store".

macOS adds an attribute of quarantine to the file which is downloaded from the internet.
And Maxima.app does not have a signature which is allowed by Apple.
Then the error message was shown due to the attribute of quarantine.
This is the security system of macOS.

You can check the attribute with the Terminal.app command "ls -l@" as follows:
(You will be able to find "com.apple.quarantine" which is the name of the attribute.)
$ ls -l@ ./*.dmg
-rw-r--r--@ 1 name  staff  471227521  6 18 23:04 ./Maxima-5.40.0-VTK-macOS.dmg
    com.apple.diskimages.fsck           20
    com.apple.diskimages.recentcksum           77
    com.apple.quarantine           62
-rw-r--r--@ 1 name  staff  213809978  6 18 23:03 ./Maxima-5.40.0-macOS.dmg
    com.apple.diskimages.fsck           20
    com.apple.diskimages.recentcksum           77
    com.apple.quarantine           62

$ ls -ltd@ /Applications/Maxima.app
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 name  admin  102  6  2 15:45 /Applications/Maxima.app
    com.apple.quarantine     62

$ ls -lt@ $HOME/Desktop/Launchers
total 0
drwxr-xr-x@ 7 name  staff  238  6 10 02:07 sources
    com.apple.quarantine     62
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 name  staff  102  6 10 01:43 Rmaxima.app
    com.apple.quarantine     62
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 name  staff  102  6 10 01:43 Xmaxima.app
    com.apple.quarantine     62
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 name  staff  102  6 10 01:43 Xmaxima-XQuartz.app
    com.apple.quarantine     62
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 name  staff  102  6 10 01:43 wxMaxima.app
    com.apple.quarantine     62

So that the next error message is displayed
when you try to launch "Rmaxima.app".
Then you can not launch "Rmaxima.app".
|     "Rmaxima.app" is damaged and can't be      |
|     opened. You should move it to the Trash.   |
|                                                |
| [?]          [  Cancel  ]  [  Move to Trash  ] |

How to solve this problem:

(1) Select the menu "Apple" -> "System Preferences",
    then the window of "System Preferences" is opened.

(2) Click the icon of "Security & Privacy",
    then click the button "General" to open its pane.

(3) Unlock "Security & Privacy preferences".

(4) Look for the pane of "Allow apps downloaded from:",
    and select "Anywhere".
+------------[General]--------------------------------+
|   .....                                             |
|   .....                                             |
|+---------------------------------------------------+|
||  Allow apps downloaded from:                      ||
||      ( ) Mac App Store                            ||
||      ( ) Mac App Store and identified developers  ||
||      (*) Anywhere                                 ||
|+---------------------------------------------------+|
|                                                     |
| [] Click the lock to make changes.                  |

(5) After that, when you try to launch "Rmaxima.app",
    next dialog appears.
    Click the button "Open" to launch "Rmaxima.app".
|  "Rmaxima.app" is an application                 |
|  downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure      |
|  you want to open it?                            |
|                                                  |
|                         [  Cancel  ]  [  Open  ] |

Leichlingen, Germany
有坂富雄
2017-06-24 17:30:54 UTC
Dear Wolfgang,

Honda-san told me that the key word "Anywhere" does not exist on the pane of "General" of "Security & Privacy" under macOS Sierra.
+------------[General]--------------------------------+
|   .....                                             |
|   .....                                             |
|+---------------------------------------------------+|
||  Allow apps downloaded from:                      ||
||      ( ) App Store                                ||
||      (*) App Store and identified developers      ||
|+---------------------------------------------------+|
|                                                     |
| [] Click the lock to make changes.                  |

So that I wrote the another way which describes how to solve the problem.
Please try to do the following:

(0) Double-click the icon of "Terminal.app" in the folder "/Applications/Utilities", then the command-line-user-interface window is opened.

(1) Move the current working directory to the location of the disc image with the command "cd". (e.g. "Downloads" folder)
| $ cd $HOME/Downloads                                                           |

(2) You can check the attribute with the command "ls -l@":
(You will be able to find "com.apple.quarantine" which is the name of the attribute.)
| $ ls -l@ ./*.dmg                                                               |
| -rw-r--r--@ 1 name  staff  471227521  6 24 23:17 ./Maxima-5.40.0-VTK-macOS.dmg |
|        com.apple.quarantine               62                                   |

(3) Remove the attribute "com.apple.quarantine" with the command "xattr -d com.apple.quarantine ./*.dmg":
| $ xattr -d com.apple.quarantine ./Maxima-5.40.0-VTK-macOS.dmg                  |

(4) Verify that the attribute "com.apple.quarantine" was removed:
| $ ls -l@ ./*.dmg                                                               |
| -rw-r--r--  1 name  staff  471227521  6 24 23:17 ./Maxima-5.40.0-VTK-macOS.dmg |

(5) Double-click the icon of the disc image file to open.

After that, you should install Maxima.app into your "Applications" folder ("/Applications"). And you should drag the Launchers icon from the disc image to another place of your filesystem.  You can install launchers to anywhere you like.
Then you will be able to launch Maxima with Maxima.app or launchers.

Thank,

Tomio Arisaka
Tomio Arisaka
有坂富雄
2017-06-25 14:59:50 UTC
Hello,

If my previous post does not help you, then please try to do the following.

After you installed the Maxima.app into your "Applications" folder, next Terminal.app command can remove the attribute of quarantine.

(1) Remove the attribute "com.apple.quarantine" from Maxima.app:
  $ sudo xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Maxima.app

(2) Remove the attribute "com.apple.quarantine" from launchers:
  $ xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine /YourPath/Launchers

After that, you will be able to launch Maxima with Maxima.app or launchers.

Thanks,

Tomio Arisaka
Tomio Arisaka
Dr. Wolfgang Lindner
2017-07-03 15:28:26 UTC
Dear Tomio,

Please excuse my late answer, but I had a break for some days.
Thank you for your very detailed instruction.

Now all works very well on my MacBook Air running macOS Sierra.
- I start maxima.app double-clicking its name in the application folder.
- I quit maxima.app via cmd-Q without any problem.
- First tests (including simple graphs) work perfect.

It's indeed the same feeling as running Maxima.exe on my tablet with OS
Win10 ;) - so using the wonderful (wx)Maxima in class there is now the same
IDE independend of the OS the students prefer to use.

Thank you for providing such a comfortable installation procedure
for the people in the Mac world.

Best regards
Wolfgang
- - -
Dr. Wolfgang Lindner
Leichlingen, Germany

Post by 有坂富雄
Dear Wolfgang,
Honda-san told me that the key word "Anywhere" does not exist on the pane
of "General" of "Security & Privacy" under macOS Sierra.
| ..... |
| ..... |
|| Allow apps downloaded from: ||
|| ( ) App Store ||
|| (*) App Store and identified developers ||
| |