[Maxima-discuss] Tensor question
Viktor T. Toth
2017-07-04 20:54:00 UTC
Dear Daniel,

Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic, I thought my answer leads you to the right solution. Allow me to elaborate on three major points.

First, the question of position vectors.

Let's go through this methodically, starting with an arbitrary coordinate system x^i. A position vector R is represented by x^i, which is really shorthand for

R = x^i e_i,

Where the e_i are the covariant basis vectors.

Your point is that \partial R/\partial x^i = e_i, so differentiating R with respect to any of the coordinates should give the corresponding basis vector. It is, of course, trivially true:

\partial _i R = \partial (x^i e_i) / \partial x^i = e_i.

So what would this position vector be in polar cylindrical coordinates? Why, it is R = x^i of course, that is to say,

R : [rho, theta, z].

Indeed you can see (even without Maxima) that, say, diff(R, rho) = [1, 0, 0], which is just as it should be: this is e_rho.

But this is not what you have in your script. Instead, you have an R that is the components of a position vector in _Cartesian_ coordinates:

R : [rho*cos(theta), rho*sin(theta), z].

Why would the Cartesian components of R have any special behavior under covariant differentiation in polar cylindrical coordinates? Of course they wouldn't.

Second, the question of covariant derivatives.

You assert that the covariant derivative of the basis vectors should be zero. But is this really true?

We have three basis vectors: e_rho = [1, 0, 0], e_theta = [0, 1, 0] and e_z = [0, 0, 1]. Let us calculate their covariant derivatives by hand.

The covariant derivative of a covariant vector V_i is, of course,

D_i V_j = \partial_i V_j - Gamma_{ij}^k V_k. The only nonzero Christoffel symbols in polar cylindrical coordinates are

Gamma_{12}^2 = Gamma_{21}^2 = 1 / rho,
Gamma_{22}^1 = -rho.

Consequently, for e_rho, we have

(D_1 e_rho)_1 = \partial_rho 1 - \Gamma_{11}^1 1 = 0.
(D_1 e_rho)_2 = -Gamma_{12}^1 1 = 0.
(D_1 e_rho)_3 = -Gamma_{13}^1 1 = 0.
(D_2 e_rho)_1 = \partial_theta 1 - \Gamma_{21}^1 1 = 0.
(D_2 e_rho)_2 = \partial_rho 1 - \Gamma_{22}^1 1 = rho.

Whoops. That term is not zero, falsifying your assertion, so I don't even need to continue. (The rest of the terms are zero, by the way.)

The reason, of course, is that this is precisely what the covariant derivative measures: how the basis vectors _change_ as we transport them along the manifold. So contrary to your expectation, the covariant derivative of the basis vectors should not be zero unless all Christoffel-symbols vanish (e.g., Cartesian coordinates in flat space.)

Third, the covariant derivative of Cartesian basis vectors.

The preceding discussion leads me to my final point: the covariant derivatives of a set of basis vectors that does NOT change under parallel transport, such as the Cartesian basis vectors, should be zero! But for this, we need to do the exact opposite of what you have been doing. Instead of taking R to be a position vector in cylindrical coordinates and then express its components in Cartesian coordinates, we need to take the Cartesian basis vectors and express their coordinates using the polar cylindrical coordinate system.

So given Cartesian basis vectors I, J and K, their components in polar cylindrical coordinates would be:

I = [cos(theta), -rho*sin(theta), 0]
J = [sin(theta), rho*cos(theta), 0]
K = [0, 0, 1].

Unsurprisingly, if arranged in a matrix, this would indeed be the transpose of the matrix that you obtain from the vectors that you believed to be basis vectors.

When we take the covariant derivatives of these three vectors: that is to say, the polar cylindrical covariant derivative of the Cartesian basis vectors expressed in polar cylindrical coordinates, we indeed get zeros everywhere.

By the way, polar cylindrical coordinates are a ctensor/ct_coordsys builtin, so there is no need to construct them from scratch. (The builtin uses r instead of rho as the name of the radial coordinate.)

load(itensor)$
load(ctensor)$
ct_coordsys(polarcylindrical,all)$
ldisplay(R:[r*cos(theta),r*sin(theta),z])$
ishow(Eq:Q([j,i],[])=subst([%1=m],rename(covdiff(Z([j],[]),i))))$
Eq:ic_convert(Eq);
C:apply(matrix,makelist(diff(R,ct_coords[i]),i,dim));
trigsimp(C.transpose(C).ug);
I:transpose(C)[1];
J:transpose(C)[2];
K:transpose(C)[3];
Z:I$ Q:zeromatrix(dim,dim)$ ev(Eq)$ Q;
Z:J$ Q:zeromatrix(dim,dim)$ ev(Eq)$ Q;
2017-07-12 22:54:57 UTC
Dear Daniel,

I admit that I managed to confuse myself a little, too, as I was attempting to formulate a correct answer, but I think I unconfused myself now.

Your point is that the covariant derivative of basis vectors must be zero.

Let me respond by pointing out the subtle distinction between a vector, such as a basis vector (a geometric object that has a length and a direction) vs. its representation in the form of contravariant or covariant components.

Contravariant components go hand-in-hand with covariant basis vectors and vice versa. So for instance, the abstract idea of a vector R may be represented as

R = r^1 e_1 + r^2 e_2 + r^3 e_3,

or alternatively, as

R = r_1 e^1 + r_2 e^2 + r_3 e^3.

Both represent the same abstract quantity.

We know that the basis vectors are such that e_i e^j = \delta_i^j where \delta is the Kronecker delta.

So then, the product R . e^1 = r^1 e_1 e^1 + r^2 e_2 e^1 + r^3 e_3 e^1 = r^1,

and similarly,

R . e_1 = r_1 e^1 e_1 + r_2 e^2 e_1 + r_3 e^3 e_1 = r_1.

Same goes for R e^k and R e_k.

Which is to say that the components of a vector in a basis can be calculated as the inner product of the vector and the corresponding basis vectors:

r_k = R . e_k,
r^k = R . e^k.

Which immediately gives the contravariant components of the basis vector e_1 (NB: the symbol e_1 is a vector, not a component):

e_1 . e^1 = 1,
e_1 . e^2 = 0,
e_1 . e^3 = 0.

So if e_i . e^j = \delta_i^j, what about e^i . e^j? That would be g^{ij}, of course. And as we know, the covariant derivative of the metric *is* zero:

D_k g^{ij} = 0,

or

D_k (e^i . e^j) = 0.

Or, using the multiplication rule for derivatives,

(D_k e^i)e^j + e^i(D_k e^j) = 0.

Let me quickly multiple this by e_i:

(D_k e^i)e^j e_i + e^i(D_k e^j) e_i = 0.
D_k e^j + D_k e^j = 0.
D_k e^j = 0.

BUT... e^j is an abstract vector. It is not a triplet of contravariant or covariant components. So let me ask... what would be the components representing e^j?

We already know that

e_i = g_{ij} e^j.

So the covariant components of e_i are, in fact, the corresponding components of the covariant metric tensor itself.

So let's do the covariant derivative:

D_k e_i = D_k (g_{ij} e^j) = (D_k g_{ij}) e^j + g_{ij}(D_k e^j) = 0 + 0 = 0.

Note that if the covariant derivative of the metric didn't vanish (nonmetricity), either D_k e^i or D_k e^j would be nonzero.

In other words, the statement that the covariant derivative of the basis vectors vanishes is equivalent to the statement that the metric's covariant derivatives vanish.

So what about the components of the basis vectors? Well, they are trivial, aren't they. For instance, we just confirmed that e_1 = 1 e_1 + 0 e_2 + 0 e_3. So the contravariant components of e_1 are [1, 0, 0]. Similarly, the covariant components of e^1 are [1, 0, 0].

Now clearly, in most coordinate systems, a vector with covariant (or contravariant) components [1, 0, 0] will not have a vanishing covariant derivative. In contrast, its coordinate derivative is going to vanish, since the vector components are constants.

I hope this helps clarify things rather than making things more confusing.

Viktor

2017-07-13 05:48:33 UTC
In any n-dimensional Riemannian manifold (M,g), given a point p in M it is
always possible to find a local coordinate system (a chart) (U,f), with
associated coordinate functions x1,...,xn (called geodesic normal
coordinates), such that the Christoffel symbols of the Levi-Civita
connection satisfy \Gamma^i_{jk} (p)=0 (i.e, they vanish at p). This
implies that the covariant derivative of the basis vectors \partial_i are
zero at p. However, it is neither true that this happens for an arbitrary
coordinate system (hence for an arbitrary set of basis vectors), nor that
the covariant derivative of the basis vectors is zero for points other than
p.

José Antonio Vallejo
Faculty of Sciences
State University of San Luis Potosi (Mexico)
http://galia.fc.uaslp.mx/~jvallejo
Post by Viktor T. Toth
[...]
If I understand correctly the Christoffel symbols of the second kind are