ASDF3 in Maxima's lisp core
Alexey Cherkaev
2017-06-28 12:34:01 UTC
Hi all,

I've noticed that in Maxima's lisp core ASDF3 is not enabled. Having ASDF3
enabled opens up the full use of QUICKLISP from within Maxima. And, thus,
Maxima's functionality can be extended with, for example, custom numerical
code either in LISP or in C or FORTRAN via CFFI.

I have recompiled Maxima from sources with my local installation of SBCL
and now I do have ASDF3. I've done it under Linux, which was quite simple.
Compilation under Windows, however, is the whole other matter...

Is there a way to enable/load ASDF3 in existing Maxima lisp-core without
recompilation?

Or would it be possible to distribute future versions of Maxima with
ASDF3-enabled Lisp-core?

Best regards,
Alexey
Michel Talon
2017-06-29 10:08:47 UTC
Post by Alexey Cherkaev
I have recompiled Maxima from sources with my local installation of SBCL
and now I do have ASDF3. I've done it under Linux, which was quite
simple. Compilation under Windows, however, is the whole other matter...
I don't understand what the presence of asdf3 has to do with the
compilation of maxima. It comes with lisp, particularly with sbcl
in your case (or my case). So the problem is to enable asdf3 in the
compilation of sbcl if it is not the case. It may be that it is not the
case under windows due to potential bugs, but i doubt it. On my machine
(linux) i have sbcl-1.3.13, that i have compiled myself, and it comes
with ASDF 3.1.5 which is there without any particular intervention
from me. I know that Roland Salz had problems with his asdf under
Windows, but he was able to upgrade it to a more recent version, which
solved his problems. As far as maxima is concerned it is just a
collection of macros and functions on top of lisp, but you can access
all functionalities of the underlying lisp from within maxima.
For example, you can issue
:lisp(require 'asdf)
from maxima. If maxima is compiled with sbcl it will work.
Michel Talon
Wolfgang Dautermann
2017-07-02 15:34:42 UTC
I know that Roland Salz had problems with his asdf under Windows.> [...]
For example, you can issue
:lisp(require 'asdf)
from maxima. If maxima is compiled with sbcl it will work.
It should work now in a crosscompiled Windows installer too. Sorry, I
did not know that it does not work (because an enviroment variable was
missing).

Should be fixed in the next release (or one can insert a line in
maxima.bat - see commit [33d8cb])

Best regards, Wolfgang
Michel Talon
2017-07-02 18:32:33 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Dautermann
Should be fixed in the next release (or one can insert a line in
maxima.bat - see commit [33d8cb])
Nice catch, i should have tought about SBCL_HOME since it is a well
known cause of trouble with sbcl (for example if one wants to run
slime in emacs). Perhaps it is related to prof. Fateman's problem when
trying to run sbcl statistical profiler under Windows.
--
Michel Talon