wxdraw in Windows 7
Wilson Mixon
2013-02-02 16:13:09 UTC
I ran this program on three machines, two in Windows 7 and one in Linux.

wxdraw2d(explicit(x^2,x,-5,5));
build_info();
==========
Results:
Windows 1: Graph and this build info:
build_info("5.28.0-2","2012-08-27 23:16:48","i686-pc-mingw32","GNU Common Lisp (GCL)","GCL 2.6.8")

On this computer, I install Maxima in the Program Files folder.
-----------
Windows 2: No graph and this error message:
Maxima encountered a Lisp error:  Error in SETF [or a callee]: Cannot create the file C:/Users/Wilson/maxout.gnuplot.
Automatically continuing. To enable the Lisp debugger set *debugger-hook* to nil.

The build info is this:
build_info("5.28.0-2","2012-08-27 23:16:48","i686-pc-mingw32","GNU Common Lisp (GCL)","GCL 2.6.8")

On this computer, I install Maxima in the Program Files (x86) folder.
----------
Linux: A graph and this build info:
build_info(version="5.29.1",timestamp="2013-01-23 09:18:19",host="i686-pc-linux-gnu",lisp_name="SBCL",lisp_version="1.0.55.0.debian")
Mario Rodriguez
2013-02-04 19:56:19 UTC
Post by Wilson Mixon
I ran this program on three machines, two in Windows 7 and one in Linux.
wxdraw2d(explicit(x^2,x,-5,5));
build_info();
==========
build_info("5.28.0-2","2012-08-27 23:16:48","i686-pc-mingw32","GNU
Common Lisp (GCL)","GCL 2.6.8")
On this computer, I install Maxima in the Program Files folder.
-----------
Maxima encountered a Lisp error: Error in SETF [or a callee]: Cannot
create the file C:/Users/Wilson/maxout.gnuplot.
Could it be a permission conflict?
Post by Wilson Mixon
Automatically continuing. To enable the Lisp debugger set
*debugger-hook* to nil.
build_info("5.28.0-2","2012-08-27 23:16:48","i686-pc-mingw32","GNU
Common Lisp (GCL)","GCL 2.6.8")
On this computer, I install Maxima in the Program Files (x86) folder.
----------
Wilson,

What's the difference between these two environments?

The operating system is the same, the Maxima version is also the same,
and in both cases Maxima has been installed in the same folder.

Does wxplot2d work in the second machine?

Sorry, but it's hard for me to guess the origin of the problem.

Mario
Mixon, Wilson
2013-02-04 22:11:39 UTC
I discovered the problem. Some mistake I had made cause Windows to refuse gnuplot the access that it needed to write to a folder.

I apologize for an inconvenience.
Mario Rodriguez
2013-02-06 16:12:31 UTC
Post by Mixon, Wilson
I discovered the problem. Some mistake I had made cause Windows to refuse gnuplot the access that it needed to write to a folder.
I apologize for an inconvenience.
No problem :)

Mario
Dieter Sulzbacher
2013-07-29 06:22:58 UTC
Dear all,
I run wxMaxima (version information see below) under Windows7 ultimate sp.1.
Whenever I want to use a routine which uses gnuplot (eg. wxdraw2d,...)
Maxima quits with following message:

I tried to re- install the whole Maxima- software (including coma.mac
which I need very often), tried to run wxMaxima as administrator, too.
Nothing changed.
I don't know what to do any more. Can anyone help me? Thanx a lot!

Maxima- version info:
Rupert Swarbrick
2013-07-29 10:13:08 UTC
Post by Dieter Sulzbacher
Dear all,
I run wxMaxima (version information see below) under Windows7 ultimate sp.1.
Whenever I want to use a routine which uses gnuplot (eg. wxdraw2d,...)
<Transcript>

(%i43) wxdraw2d(explicit(Beitrag(f),f,10000,1e6),yrange=[10,10000],logx=true,logy=true);
Maxima encountered a Lisp error:
Error in SETF [or a callee]: Cannot create the file C:/Users/Sauron/maxout.gnuplot
Automatically continuing.
To enable the Lisp debugger set *debugger-hook* to nil.

</Transcript>

I'm afraid that I don't actually use wxMaxima (or Windows), so I can't
tell you exactly what's going wrong. However, what the error says is
that the software is trying to create a file called maxout.gnuplot in
the directory C:/Users/Sauron (which it thinks is a sort of home
directory for you). Does that directory exist and does the maxima
process run with write access to it?

If not, then we've bumped in to an error/design flaw in either Maxima or
wxMaxima. What the code is trying to do is generate a temporary file
(full of commands for gnuplot). Your user name is presumably Sauron?

Someone with a better knowledge of plot2d's internals can probably say
whether there's a way to tell it to use a different temporary directory,
which will make things work for you.

Rupert
Jaime Villate
2013-07-29 11:05:36 UTC
Post by Rupert Swarbrick
<Transcript>
(%i43) wxdraw2d(explicit(Beitrag(f),f,10000,1e6),yrange=[10,10000],logx=true,logy=true);
Error in SETF [or a callee]: Cannot create the file C:/Users/Sauron/maxout.gnuplot
Automatically continuing.
To enable the Lisp debugger set *debugger-hook* to nil.
</Transcript>
Someone with a better knowledge of plot2d's internals can probably say
whether there's a way to tell it to use a different temporary directory,
which will make things work for you.
You mean "draw2d's internals" not plot2d's internals.
I do not know draw2d's internals but from the error message I guess the
variable maxima_userdir is being used, which can be set to a different
value:

(%i1) maxima_userdir: "C:/Some_directory_name";

Regards,
Jaime
Jaime Villate
2013-07-29 11:15:45 UTC
Post by Jaime Villate
I do not know draw2d's internals but from the error message I guess
the variable maxima_userdir is being used, which can be set to a
(%i1) maxima_userdir: "C:/Some_directory_name";
Sorry. In my previous message I meant to say "maxima_tempdir" instead of
"maxima_userdir"

Jaime
Dieter Sulzbacher
2013-07-29 13:13:02 UTC
Dear Jaime, dear all,

first forgive me, I failed to give enough information. As Rupert
supposed, under Windows wxMaxima wants to create two temp files in the
(default) directory "systemroot/users/anybody", one of them called
"data.gnuplot", the other one "maxout.gnuplot". Changing the
maxima_userdir- as suggested by Jaime- doesn't affect the draw2d
internals in any way as it seems, but leaded to hit my target. I have
checked the two (hidden) files already and found both existing- so I
decided not to deal with them before because it said "can't create ...
". Now I created two new files named as described above in the user's
directory overwriting the existing ones and that was exactly the thing
making it run! Now I know why all that had happened. I installed an
older Maxima- version which had known problems of that type some time
ago by carelessness. I replaced the software by a new version but didn't
delete both temp- files which must have been corrupted- because they
can't be seen by default and I forgot about that...
I know that others have the same problem unsolved. I hope this will help
them, too.

Thanks!

@Wetti, Prof. Haager: for your information only.